Friday, January 8, 2010

Absolutely Normal Chaos

Absolutely Normal Chaos by Newbery Medal recipient, Sharon Creech, is the summer journal of thirteen year old Mary Lou Finney.  After she receives the assignment of keeping a journal for the summer, Mary Lou Finney discovers that her life isn't so mundane.  Mary Lou has 1 older sister, 3 younger brothers, and a surprise house guest - her 17 year old cousin, Carl Ray.  It is quite a mystery as to why Carl Ray has unexpectedly come from his home in West Virginia to stay with the Finney's, but Mary Lou is not happy.  Upon the death of her neighbor, Mr. Furtz, Carl Ray's story starts to unfold.

By the end of the summer, Mary Lou finds that the last three months, were anything but mundane.  She fell in love, was kissed for the first time, learned empathy, experienced death, and documented all these occurrences in her journal.  

The first time I read this book, I was around twelve.  Each night my mom and I would take turns reading Mary Lou Finney's journal.  I have such positive memories of this book, and the time I spent reading with my mom.  As a daily journal writer, it is always enjoyable to go back and look at my own journal entries from when I was in middle school.  Issues ranging from boys to parents to friends are all there, in black and white; some of the same experiences as Mary Lou.

As a teacher, I will assign journals for my students.  Writing daily is not only good practice, it is also good therapy.  Some times it is easier to write about something than to talk to someone.  These journals will give me a peek into my students' lives - their struggles and their triumphs. 

Absolutely Normal Chaos. ISBN 0-06-026989-8. Sharon Creech. 1990. Newbery Medal. Age 9-12. Contemporary Fiction for Adolescent Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment