Sunday, January 17, 2010

Crow Call

 Poignantly written, with a soft but confident voice, Lois Lowry produces yet another beautiful text.  This auto-biography tells the story of one single morning spent with her father after he has returned home from World War II.  Unsure of who her father is, and how he will mold into her life, the young girl timidly joins her dad hunting.  From early morning to afternoon, this story chronicles the sincere and honest moments of discovering who family is and the moments that make them special.  From silly moments, like imitating a giraffe call, to series ones like wondering if war was scary, Lowry takes the reader through the process of getting to know an absent family member.

The illustrations in Crow Call supplement the text brilliantly.  Each picture authentically captures the text, while the soft colors express the mood.  Painted in a style that is quite similar to Norman Rockwell's paintings, this illustrator painted the pictures with great detail and realistic quality.

As a teacher, I would use this book as a supplement to a discussion about special moments.  I would assign my students the task of finding something that is special to them, and additionally, was given to them by someone special.  I would then have my students share why the object is special and tell a little bit about the day he or she received the special item.  This lesson would reinforce the message that everyone has someone that cares.  I want each of my students to know they are special.  At the end of the lesson, I would give each student a personal note explaining why he or she is special to me.  Hopefully, by the end of this lesson, I will have created a small moment that maybe one day, one student will look back and remember the day she knew she was special.


Crow Call. ISBN-13: 978-0-545-03035-9. Lois Lowry. Bagram Ibatoulline. 2009. Newbery Medal. Age 9-12. Auto-Biography.

No comments:

Post a Comment