Thursday, January 21, 2010

Me I Am

Me I Am is essentially a poem extended through a book using creative illustrations to spark the reader's imagination.  The poem consists of four stanzas, and is written three times throughout.  Each time the poem repeats, a different child is featured.  The detailed illustrations reveals the individuality in children and shows that although the poem is repeating, the children are not. 

This book is not only great for showing children how everybody differs, it is also a great tool to teach poetry.  I would use this book to begin a lesson on creating and reading poetry.  Once all my students had composed poems, I would compile the submissions in a book, and have a poetry reading.  I would pass out berets and after each person read their poem, we would snap (channeling the Beat Generation).  This would be a way to show that poetry can be fun, and doesn't always have to be serious, a la Edgar Allen Poe and E.E. Cummings.  A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends, both by Shel Silverstein, would be good supplemental books to further my lesson on creative poetry.

Me I Am. ISBN-13: 978-0-374-34902-8. Jack Prelutsky. Christine Davenier. 1983.Children's Poet Laureate. Age 4-8. Contemporary Fiction. Poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment